Wednesday, May 30, 2012

3 Countries, 2 Continents, 1 Week (Part 2)

So after Marbella, we were off to Gibraltar. I wish I could say I was excited to go to Gibraltar, because that would mean I had ever heard of it before. But, I had not. Although I went to private school, they still taught American Geography. Probably how I ended up living in Moscow. I thought it was somewhere in Colorado. I knew nothing about Gibraltar, and although I wish I could say it was some hidden gem, it was not. All there really was to see was the big rock, which was as it sounds, a big rock. A bunch of wild monkeys, who live on the rock, and according to all of the signs around, pick pocket anyone who steps foot on the rock.

I trust this monkey, not at all.
I have never been comfortable around wild animals, but monkeys? Forget it. Those bastards are crazy strong. I am from Florida, home state of where the lady got her entire face ripped off by a "domesticated" monkey. A wild monkey? Pffftttttt.

I have mad respect for this girl, she learned young. Don't underestimate the power of a good side eyes look:


The rock IS worth seeing if you are in the area. Pro-Tip: If you are doing the rock, bring a change of shoes. I am constantly doing whatever I can to avoid looking like a typical American tourist while vacationing in Europe, and as a result I will not wear sneakers, no matter how practical or comfortable they would be for the 10+ hours a day of walking on unpredictable terrain I may have planned or unplanned. I wish I could give you good advice on a comfortable walking shoe on par with a sneaker that does not leave you looking like you should also invest in a fanny pack, but sadly, I do not. My Toms wedges are super comfortable, but as a wedge, not great for cobble stones (and you do walk around feeling the need to alert people that you are NOT a Hipster). 

Another thing about Gibraltar? Despite being a British colony, Gibraltar does NOT stamp your passport upon entry. Even if you ask. Twice. The entire town is tax free, which leaves it resembling a giant airport duty free shop, so if you are into that sort of thing, Gibraltar is the place to load up. 

Keeping a safe distance

4 comments:

  1. Hands down over the exclusive items made for your trendiness. Order for Leather Jackets for Men and Women, custom leather jackets online now.Women Faux Leather Jackets

    ReplyDelete
  2. In uae, ilforno.me is famous for Italian food ilforno.me offers Italian rice balls stuffed with mozzarella cheese, buffalo mozzarella, Parmesan cheese deep fried to perfection serve with tomato sauce and many more Italian fast food for you.
    Best pasta in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete